About The Foundation
The Nelson Mandela Foundation was established in 1999 when its Founder, Mr Nelson Mandela, stepped down as the President of South Africa. Mr. Mandela was South Africa’s first democratically elected President. On 9 May 1994, soon after our landmark election results were in, he was unanimously elected President by South Africa’s new Members of Parliament. The next day, Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela was sworn in at an inauguration ceremony at the Union Buildings in Pretoria. He vowed to serve only one term as President, and in 1999 he stepped down to make way for President Thabo Mbeki.
Founding principles of the Nelson Mandela Foundation
- The creation, establishment, protection and preservation of a Centre of Memory about Mr Mandela, which contains an archive of the life and times, works and writings of the Founder
- Convening dialogue around critical social issues, including particular issues regarding human rights and democracy, in order to contribute to a just society
- The promotion of, or engaging in, philosophical activities, including discussion regarding issues pertaining to human rights and democracy
- The raising of funds in furtherance of the Trust’s objectives
- The provision of support services to or the promotion of the common interests of public benefit organisations
Join us in continuing the work of Nelson Mandela
NorthStar Memorial Group, in partnership with the NAACP, is constructing The Nelson Mandela Human Rights Memorial at Skylawn Memorial Park in California. The monument, to be unveiled September 29, will be a platform for introspection, inspiration and education to advance the Nobel prize winner’s ideals of social justice, democracy and peace.
The monument’s design is a reflection of Nelson Mandela’s life and legacy. The shape reflects a translation of his birth name, Rolihlahla, which means “pulling the branch of a tree”. The rectangle in the floor of the monument is the same dimensions as the cell where he was imprisoned for 27 years. A series of quotations by the civil rights leader, reflect his deepest thoughts during three distinct phases of his life – before, during and after imprisonment.
Help us honor Mandela’s life’s work and inspire positive change. Please donate today.
NorthStar Memorial Group
Since 2004, NorthStar Memorial Group has grown, evolved and led the funeral and cemetery profession with a fresh perspective and without ever losing sight of what we do best: celebrating life and passionately supporting the families we serve. What began as a single property in Decatur, Illinois has now expanded to include more than 75 funeral, cremation and cemetery locations serving thousands of families across the United States. Here, we understand the power of legacies, and we’ve made it our life’s work to honor them.
Visit NorthStar Memorial Group at NSMG.com